Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday October, 24th - X marks the spot

   I pull the rope towards my right side to change directions of the sails only to be overthrown by the wind. My hand flew backwards in a fishtailing motion and smacked Captain Zedd Van Cook in his handle bar mustache. Jack was in the hull drinking all of the rum, and as usual he wasn't helping. Zedd and I stood firm on the deck while the wind sung a death song in our ears. We knew that the rain would stop any second now and we would praise the sun when we see it. We checked the waters for any rocks that could potentially puncture the ships hull, which Jack was still in drinking his mind away, and while checking the waters we saw a lantern burning eternal inside a rounded glass canteen approaching us. Lightning pierced the nearby water and light was shed upon us for a brief moment, and what we saw was a ship in the shape of a leviathan with lantern fire as eyes. The ship approached us deathly and the rain now poured the heavens, and the water rumbled hell. The water was going to be my shallow grave I thought to myself. I watched the ship pull closer and it was no longer death that occupied my mind, it was curiosity. The ship had no one upon its decks. It was abandoned.
   Captain Zedd had a smile on his face and a sense of humor in his eyes. Zedd latched his hand on a rope and swung over to the leviathan, and signaled for me to do the same. "What about Jack?", I said while looking at the door that led to the hull. "Leave the drunk for fate to decide and swing aboard lad!", Zedd responded with a raised eyebrow. I swung across and Zedd, with wealth in his mind, stepped in to the hull, and there beneath the steps nailed to the muggy walls of the ship hung a map. Zedd snatched the map off the wall and held it in his hands looking upon it. I stared over his shoulder with wide eyes, and as soon as Zedd saw my eyes hit the map he quickly stuffed it into his pocket, And said, "treasure". He stepped up to the steering spike on the top of the captain's house and sailed in a direction I did not know. I fell asleep to the sound of raindrops hitting the old wooden floor that night believing in Captain Zedd to lead us to safety. I awoke the next morning and we were on a small island. Zedd wasn't on the leviathan, but I raised my gaze to the shore and there he was pushing a large chest towards the boat. I stepped onto the foreign sand and helped Zedd with the chest which seemed to get heavier by the hour.
   We used all of our abilities to raise the chest onboard the leviathan, but we weren't able to do so. We sat up against the chest while breathing heavily. The island wasn't far from paradise I thought as I sat. The waters were as pure as a rain drop that had been filtered through the clouds on crisp chilled morning in the days of fall season. Palm tress stood tall almost as if they were posing for us to look upon them with admiration. Mountains with flowing falls and fine sanded beaches surrounded the inner island with beauty. Captain Zedd didn't share my admiration as he was already prying the lock off the cracked wood of the chest. I stood stiff and simply kicked the rotted wood to reveal a hole in the chest's right panel. In time we smashed the chest and uncovered anything but wealth. Inside the chest, drunk as could be, was Jack smiling with contentment. The captain and I tore Jack from the chest and his rum. Zedd uncovered a shrivled rope from a sack he carried along with him, and tied it around Jack's throat. I stood there and felt no sorrow for what we were going to do with jack. Jack still smiled with pure drunkenness unknowing what was going to happen. We pulled Jack across the sand and near a palm tree where we stood Jack up and hung him. Jack was dead however jack's smile was not. So Zedd smacked it off and we sat on the beach waiting for help in this paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment